Finding Good Relationship Counselling in Hamilton NZ
While there are a lot of relationship counselling services in Hamilton City, finding someone you like takes single-minded effort, especially if you have never seen a relationship counsellor before. Many counsellors offer relationship therapy. In addition to relationship counselling, some of these include psychiatry, social work and psychology. In this post, we are particularly looking at relationship counselling, not the other services.
Important Checklist: Selecting Relationships Counselling
Here are some of the more important issues you should consider:
- Is the relationship counsellor qualified in New Zealand?
- How far will you have to travel?
- In the first session, does the relationship counsellor seem to be a good fit for both of you?
Check out their website. Read each page on the website and several relationship counselling posts, if any, on their website.
- Does this relationship counselling service seem to match the needs you have in your relationship.
- Do they seem to be too general?
- Is the therapist’s focus in areas other than relationships?
You can also look to see to which professional organisation they align. Is it more counselling or psychiatry? Social work or psychology?
Henk Ensing works with couples with a private practice in Hamilton’s Hillcrest, Flagstaff, Pukete and Huntington neighborhoods
He has successfully treated many couples who struggle with communication and relationship issues.
Stopping the shouting in marriage relationships
Couples & Relationships
Henk’s practice in Hamilton City
How to find the name of a Good Relationship Counsellor in Hamilton NZ
While it is not too difficult to find the name of a relationship counselling service, in Hamilton, it may take more time to find a relationship counsellor that you consider to be “good.” Here are some helpful hints:
Good Relationship Counselling checklist
- Call the relationship counsellor on the phone and find out if the relationship counsellor is familiar with evidence-based treatment for your concerns and if your relationship counsellor uses evidence-based treatment in their practice. These are treatments that have been tested scientifically and shown to be effective. Evidence-based treatment (e.g. for relationship repair) is based on published research of studies meeting acceptable criteria.
- Ask whether the relationship counsellor has had experience in dealing with your concerns. Some therapists specialize in working with couples, individuals or families. Some relationship counsellors may have lots of experience with the problems that concern you. Find out, if possible, how much experience they have had.
- Discover in advance what the fees will cost you, the charge for missed sessions and, if possible, how long therapy might take.
- Find where the relationship counsellor is located, what hours are available for your treatment, and if the relationship counsellor will see you in an emergency. Is the relationship counsellor located in a clinic, community mental health center, medical school, independent practice or other setting?
- What kind of relationship counselling your potential therapist is likely to provide (for example, long term versus short term, individual or group therapy, what theoretical orientation) and see if that fits your expectations.
- our expectations.
- Remember that choosing a relationship counselling service is a very personal matter. There is no one therapist that is good for everyone. It is important that you feel a sense of trust and that this relationship counsellor can help you.
Give Yourself Time
After you have gathered all of this information (or as much as you have been able to obtain), give yourself a little time to think about all this. You may want to set up initial appointments with one or two potential therapists and see how comfortable you are with them. Take the time to find the right relationship counsellor for you.
Henk Ensing works with couples and relationships in Hamilton’s Hillcrest, Flagstaff, Pukete and Huntington neighborhoods. Henk’s practice is called Rock Solid Relationships. He strives to engage in a most actionable approach for a way through times of emotional distress. He has successfully worked with many couples who struggle with communication issues and ‘getting along’ problems in their relationships. Contact Henk …
Couples & Relationships
Rock Solid Relationships:
Couple communication &
Hamilton East – Huntington – Pukete – Flagstaff